-
August 25th, 2005, 11:26 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I have a few dolls who have developped loose legs over the years. They can still stand on their own, but in this weird leaning forward position to get the weight distributed correctly.
What kind of doll stands do you use? Do you recommend AGs? Are there less expensive ones that are even better?
My uncle made me some when I was a little girl, but I don't have them anymore.
Your recommendations are appreciated!
-
August 25th, 2005, 11:35 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I've got all five of mine at Ben Franklin Crafts. They were realllly cheap, I think about 2 bucks each. They're plain white, and really just plain all around, nowhere near as pretty as the AG ones, but for the amount they cost, 5 (soon will need 6) of them would be almost the exact same price as a new doll. Another good thing about these ones is that they're almost invisible when the dolls in it, unlike the AG ones that have a base that's like an inch (just a guess) thick, and that dark, pretty wood. These ones, the base is about as thin as 5 or 6 sheets of paper. This would be helpful if you create stories, you could keep the dolls on the base, and it would be pretty hard to see.
They're very sturdy, and work perfectly. However, the AG ones are much better looking, which may be important to you if your dolls are at eye-level (mine are on the hutch on my desk, and are about a foot above eye-level).
Good luck making a decision. I, personally, don't think the AG ones are worth the price, I really think they should come WITH the doll.
-
August 26th, 2005, 12:45 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I bought wooden doll stands at AC Moore for $5 each. They look nice, are heavier than the metal ones, and compare nicely to the one authentic AG one I have (it came with Marisol).
I'm very happy with them, and I don't think $5 is so bad.
-
August 26th, 2005, 01:07 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I've purchased some Kaiser brand doll stands off of ebay a couple of times. They are white metal with white rubber coating around the prongs that hold the dolls. I've been using them for about a year now and they work really well. They may not be as nice looking as the American Girl brand stands but they certainly are functional and not very expensive. You usually can find a buy it now for 3 stands for about $6 or so. I recently needed some more for both my DD and I. I found a person who was selling 3 for $6 and looked at the other items they sold in their ebay store. They also had 6 for about $12 but the shipping was about half of what I would have paid if I had purchased two auctions of 3 stands. If you do a search on doll stands you can usually find someone selling these white Kaiser stands. - Meg B.
-
August 26th, 2005, 02:11 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Might I suggest restringing the legs on your dolls? AG dolls are supposed to be self-standing, so a stand is not required.
My dolls would vehemently object to being clamped into a doll stand. How would they possibly be able to party when I leave them alone if they were clamped in place?
Taffy
-
August 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Taffy- they do still stand- it just seems like their bottoms weigh to much and to counterbalance them they have to lean to stand. They might have always been like that but I didn't notice because they didn't do a lot of standing still when I played with them as a kid.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks